Planet Crimson, the OTHER red planet
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03/26/17, 11:01:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Ohhhhh-Kay, all you spammers from China, go practice platform diving or something. I'm getting tired of deleting you.
52875 Posts in 2245 Topics by 83 Members
Latest Member: Bretto29
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Planet Crimson, the OTHER red planet
|-+  King Crimson
| |-+  Crim Reviews
| | |-+  Adrian Belew Power Trio Winter '08 Tour
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adrian Belew Power Trio Winter '08 Tour  (Read 15908 times)
Scott
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 03/06/08, 06:51:28 PM »

Robin, will you consider adopting me?

~ Scott

scott.blog
Robinslick
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 03/06/08, 06:55:25 PM »

Ha ha - sure.

(You really are only asking because you like Gary's cookies.  I've been trying to get him to make some for the east coast shows but his silly little day job keeps getting in the way...maybe we'll get lucky on Sunday and he'll be in the mood to bake)
L.RayRojo
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 03/06/08, 08:34:00 PM »

Adrian Belew?s Power Trio @ Martyrs, Chicago 3/6/08

My wife, L, and I set out for Chicago after an anticipation filled day at work and the settling in of the Little Rays with the sitter.  On the way I tried to fill her in with the why this show would not be like the last Belew show we saw together when Adrian was touring with the ?Mikes?  - new band members, who are the Slicks, no rehearsal time, more jams, etc.  I had brought along our camera in case it was allowed at Martyrs (it was) but decided to leave it in the car in order to better enjoy the music without added distractions.  I also brought three little goodies along in hopes of giving the Trio a personal ?Thank You?.  (A BIG thanks to Robin for helping me sort out the appropriate selections ? prints from my recent editions of small color relief prints.)

We made our way in the door to the venue and were greeted by Jill(?) the merchandise person for the gig and Andre, the road manager.  I decided I already had all of what they had available at the merch table.  Note to Ade ? How about carting along some hard to find cds for us hardcore-must-have-everything-fans?  I passed along the goodies I?d brought for the Trio to Andre and he assured me he?d get them to the band.

L and I settled in at the back bar and ordered a tasty veggie pizza and some drinks while we waited for the place to fill up.  Michael found us and we all sat and ate together while discussing all things Belew/Crimson.  I was surprised and thrilled to have Eric come up to us and thank me for the gift I had brought him.  (Robin, I ended up giving him one of the ear prints, ?Annunciation?).  I told him it was my gift to him as a thanks for the wonderful music I listen to while working in my studio.  Eric asked what else I listened to and I ran down a list of my faves.  He thanked me again and headed off backstage.  Nice young man.  Later we saw Julie race by with her own little gift sticking out of her jacket pocket so I knew Andre was certainly a man of his word.

The Trio?s performance was spectacular.  I have to agree with Michael that they have really grown into the material and are coming at things with fresh perspectives.  L and I were set up in front of Eric with a pretty decent view of Adrian and Julie.   There was a woman standing next to me who had mentioned to me that she had just come from purchasing her first drum kit.  We admired Eric?s heavy duty compact ride cymbal and noticed that he was playing in his stocking feet.  L and I were blown away by Eric?s powerful yet tasteful battery assault as he made giggle inducing faces (wish I had brought the camera in).  Adrian was his usual amazing self ? smiling, clowning, ripping it up and making it all look so effortless.  What really got me again was Julie?s solid grounding of the band.  Adrian and Eric get to make frenzied plays on the rhythms and tempos while Julie holds it down and keeps it all from careening off into uncontrolled territory.  It?s an impressive feat. 

Of course the inclusion of the three new numbers (?Neurotica?, ?Modern Man Hurricane Blues? and the newly written ?E?) to set list gives the show a more frenetic feel.  Eric really cuts loose on MMHB.  The looks of ?what are you doing?? thrown in his direction from Julie were hilarious to watch (again, wish I had brought in the camera).

There were a few problems early on with a low end ring coming though but that was taken care of a couple of songs into the set.  I also noticed that opening act, Zaul, was supplying the back up vocals this time around.  I really like the new song, ?E? but it does sound very much like ?Beat Box Guitar? to me.  I?ll be anxious to see how the new material develops as well as how the set grows with the extended improv/jams. 

We weren?t able to stay for the customary meet and greet.  However, the energy of the gig carried our tired bodies on the long drive back home.

The set list as I remember it went something like this:
Writing on the Wall
Dinosaur
&
Young Lions
Beat Box Guitar
Matchless Man
A Little Madness
Drive (including Within You, Without You)
E
Neurotica
Of Bow and Drum
Big Electric Cat
3 of a Perfect Pair
Thela
Modern Man Hurricane Blues

EYE   and  EAR and EGO
Robinslick
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 03/06/08, 10:20:04 PM »

Oh wow, I love this review!  I need to blog it...amazing.  Thank you so much.

I am glad you chose the "ear" for Eric - after I wrote to you I realized I should have gone with that...so you read my mind.

Isn't it amazing how much fun the band has together?  It's such a joy to see.  I cannot wait until next week - it's been killing me, reading all of these great reviews.  The last time I saw the band perform was in August!
owen
Traitor
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 03/06/08, 10:28:02 PM »

overseas in the fall (crazy locations!  Lucky b**stards)

ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease...

We promise to be gentle. Hah! Who am I kidding, this time I want the whole band crowd surfing... while playing. That may prove especially difficult for Eric.  Wink

If they do come to Australia I hear Newcastle's a great place to play.

Onward!
Robinslick
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 03/06/08, 10:58:23 PM »

Only if you lift me, too.

But gently....
owen
Traitor
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 03/06/08, 11:38:32 PM »

You're on!

Onward!
Gambit
« Reply #22 on: 03/06/08, 11:50:52 PM »

oh man oh man oh man. Thanks, everyone. Wednesday is going to KILL. The mistress will be disappointed if they haven't kept "Men in Helicopters," but I think she'll get over it.

Dog? Got your tickets yet?
L.RayRojo
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 03/07/08, 01:35:01 PM »

I'm glad you liked the post.  Thanks for reposting Robin.  I hoped they all liked their prints.
Hey Robin one thing I forgot to mention. My wife and I cracked up about how Eric can look so intense while he's playing and as soon as the song is over he's got that beaming little kid face again.  Kinda reminds me of Ringo.

EYE   and  EAR and EGO
Gambit
« Reply #24 on: 03/13/08, 04:17:42 AM »

Big gushing reviews may be getting a tad repetitive at this point, so a few observations on the Philly show instead.

-Saul Zonana does a lot more looping & effects in real time than I'd noticed before. Quite impressive, but his stuff would still kick with a real band. Or at least, as Dog_None suggested, with Samuli Kosminen to help out.

-Apparently Adrian was feeling slightly sick tonight, but had I not been told, there's no possible way I would have known. His voice sounded just great and the blast of energy from the stage was still enough to rattle the chimneys for blocks around.

-Julie used to have a kind of John Entwistle stage presence before; I never knew whether it was shyness or an oh-so-cool laid-back stage persona or both. But she surprised us by being just as animated as the other two, and it's remarkable how warm & engaging the trio comes across as a whole. When they ran into some technical snafus early on (expertly covered by a killer Eric solo to lead into "Young Lions"), I never got a sense that they had to recover any kind of lost momentum. The audience was right there with them through any rough spots.

-Not only is the trio better & tighter than they were last year, they're also looser. The set was largely the same as Side Four, but the difference in how it's all played is astounding. For maybe half of tonight's show, they seemed like practically a jam band. Albeit a jam band that could still get a whole floor of people (some of them quite inebriated) bouncing in 7/8.

-J&E have an amazing telepathy. One of the joys of watching the band is not only how they all interact, but how the two of them like to crank out tricky fills in unison.

-The new tune "E" sounds killer. First it's disturbing pseudo-surf music, then a wonky space-jazz groove. Then the space-jazz lounge has a cameo by a hyper pianist, doing his impression of Keith Tippett doing his impression of a drunken cat walking over the keys. It's really much better than that sounds.

-"Beat Box Guitar" was practically an out-of-body experience. They take it out of its structure, then they take it further than you'd ever expect, then they shoot straight for some unimaginable dimension of hyperspace. Rare to see any group of humans reach this level of improv all together.

Overall: one wild ride, my favorite ABPT show so far, and let's hope this group lasts as long as it can.
« Last Edit: 03/13/08, 04:20:32 AM by Geno » Logged
Dog_None
« Reply #25 on: 03/13/08, 11:51:05 AM »

-Apparently Adrian was feeling slightly sick tonight, but had I not been told, there's no possible way I would have known. His voice sounded just great and the blast of energy from the stage was still enough to rattle the chimneys for blocks around.

Maybe that explains why he wasn't donning the signatrure purple suit?

--The new tune "E" sounds killer. First it's disturbing pseudo-surf music, then a wonky space-jazz groove. Then the space-jazz lounge has a cameo by a hyper pianist, doing his impression of Keith Tippett doing his impression of a drunken cat walking over the keys. It's really much better than that sounds.

In part, this actually sounded like another (welcome) edition to the "Beat Box" series to me.  Beat Box Starship?

Overall, it was quite a show.  I paid more attention to the Slicks this time than I had in 2006 and their chops, chemistry, presence, etc. were much more apparent to me (not saying they weren't great last time, but I was wholly focused on the Belew).

Here's hoping it's not another 18 months before I can see them again!
Gambit
« Reply #26 on: 03/13/08, 10:15:26 PM »

Maybe that explains why he wasn't donning the signatrure purple suit?
Could be, but I figured that also meant it wouldn't be a good time to ask about it. Maybe next time...

In part, this actually sounded like another (welcome) edition to the "Beat Box" series to me.  Beat Box Starship?
Y'know, that's a good description. It reminded me a little of BBG and "Madness," maybe with a touch of "Oyster Soup."

By the way, Kram, the mistress just loves your tour-logo print. She made sure to head for the merch table first thing, just to make sure to grab a T-shirt in case her size ran out. I suspect we'll soon have one of the posters in our hallway too. Great work.
« Last Edit: 03/13/08, 10:17:53 PM by Geno » Logged
Kram
Hardcore Straightedge Nuovo Metalhead
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 03/13/08, 11:05:20 PM »

By the way, Kram, the mistress just loves your tour-logo print. She made sure to head for the merch table first thing, just to make sure to grab a T-shirt in case her size ran out. I suspect we'll soon have one of the posters in our hallway too. Great work.

Thanks Geno. I was beginning to wonder what people think. Yours is the very first comment on it.

I've been living with it on my wall for a few weeks and if I do say so myself, it ain't half bad.

I love to work with artists who actually like it when I give them skin diseases and bore holes in their skulls.
Cheesy

scorched earth
Administrator
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03/13/08, 11:13:12 PM »

Y'know, that's a good description. It reminded me a little of BBG and "Madness," maybe with a touch of "Oyster Soup."

Yeah when Adrian's playing chords it sounds like Beat Box but that's only half of the story since it starts with a menacing rhythm reminiscent of, what, Dangerous Curves (not really sure which song but I hear Fripp soundscapey sounds when I replay that rhythm in my head), before Adrian comes in on guitar with a line that sounds sorta like Fripp's fast crosspicking. I think your clued in from the start that this is gonna have Crimson references in it.

Thanks Geno. I was beginning to wonder what people think. Yours is the very first comment on it.

Like I mentioned I was bummed out I didn't get to see them. We got to the show pretty late and so I rushed right to a spot by the stage when I got in and saw it was still possible. Then I was afraid to leave the spot because someone else might take it. Usually I stick around after the show but the friend I was with took off fast, I suppose because it can be a real mess getting out of the parking lot at that venue.
« Last Edit: 03/13/08, 11:52:53 PM by scorched earth » Logged
owen
Traitor
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 03/13/08, 11:37:49 PM »

I love to work with artists who actually like it when I give them skin diseases and bore holes in their skulls.

You got that on your Business Card and CV?

Onward!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: