Planet Crimson, the OTHER red planet
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03/26/17, 11:01:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Ohhhhh-Kay, all you spammers from China, go practice platform diving or something. I'm getting tired of deleting you.
52875 Posts in 2245 Topics by 83 Members
Latest Member: Bretto29
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Planet Crimson, the OTHER red planet
|-+  King Crimson
| |-+  Crim Reviews
| | |-+  Adrian Belew Power Trio Winter '08 Tour
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adrian Belew Power Trio Winter '08 Tour  (Read 15909 times)
scorched earth
Administrator
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile
« on: 02/29/08, 11:08:27 AM »

I've read too many gushing reviews of this band to want to contribute another one. But I can't deny that it was a pretty great performance last night at the packed Rhythm Room in Phoenix. The set (see setlist here--though the actual set was shortened) was pretty much the same as before, Side Four with a couple of additions, most notably a crimsonesque new song Adrian said was only being played for the second time. But familiarity with the set didn't really detract at all from my enjoyment; it seemed fresh to me. I don't know if it was because they were playing differently or I was just swept up in the joy, energy, and enthusiasm of it all. For sure they sounded tighter than before. Like last year the Slicks impressed and moved me from the get-go; honestly more so than Adrian for the first few songs. Consider yourself lucky if they're coming to your town on this tour.
« Last Edit: 02/29/08, 11:16:54 AM by scorched earth » Logged
Kram
Hardcore Straightedge Nuovo Metalhead
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 02/29/08, 10:33:12 PM »

I think that they are playing things differently. Or at least Eric is. I certainly hear more finesse and a certain polish on his playing. Moreso than a year ago.

I expect you'll be more impressed with Ade when he's in that Other Band later this year.

BeezOnAKake
« Reply #2 on: 02/29/08, 10:45:42 PM »

Ade is in ANOTHER band Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh? Please, do tell..................
Kram
Hardcore Straightedge Nuovo Metalhead
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 02/29/08, 10:59:58 PM »

Ade is in ANOTHER band Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh? Please, do tell..................

Actually he's in two other bands. The Bears and that one with the grumpy old git...what are they called?!

Gambit
« Reply #4 on: 03/01/08, 12:20:36 AM »

a couple of additions, most notably a crimsonesque new song Adrian said was only being played for the second time.

Sweet! Ade had mentioned in some interview or other that he wanted to try some new and/or new-to-the-set stuff, but wasn't sure what would work since they had no pre-tour rehearsals and would have to work things out at soundchecks. Now I'm even more stoked for the 12th.
scorched earth
Administrator
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/01/08, 12:43:45 AM »

Kram:
I think that they are playing things differently. Or at least Eric is. I certainly hear more finesse and a certain polish on his playing. Moreso than a year ago.

I expect you'll be more impressed with Ade when he's in that Other Band later this year.
Actually he's in two other bands. The Bears and that one with the grumpy old git...what are they called?!

Yeah the ABPT does sorta have that effect on you, making you forget about that other band he's in. Actually I did have some thoughts about the comparison between the two bands, wondering for example about why this band seems to more reliably move me than recent KCs. But I didn't say anything because it would be unfair to KC, undeniably more ambitious and capable of a more powerful perfomance.

Anyway I was plenty impressed with Adrian. It's just that I've seen him many times and so know what he can do, so at the beginning of the show, it's the talent of the Slicks that makes more of an impression. And yeah I do think the playing was different, but with the anti-gushing filter in place, and without between totally confident that I could correctly describe how, I thought it was best to leave it at that. One thing I do know: Julie was more animated.

BTW I was in my favorite KC watching position, as with Sarah in front of Trey in Denver in '03, here right in front of Julie, facing Adrian and with a great view of Eric. Luckily Robin got some pics from the soundcheck because otherwise my reliably unphotogenic appearance might mar the photos, which mainly seemed to be coming from behind Eric. I was bummed out that because of the crowd and need to keep up with my fleeing ride home that I didn't get a better look at the poster and t-shirt with Mark's photo.

Geno:
Sweet! Ade had mentioned in some interview or other that he wanted to try some new and/or new-to-the-set stuff, but wasn't sure what would work since they had no pre-tour rehearsals and would have to work things out at soundchecks. Now I'm even more stoked for the 12th.

Yeah, my friend specifically commented that he enjoyed that after the show. It was a bit rough, naturally, I think Eric said something like "We did it" in relief when they finished, but I thought, cool if RF doesn't want to write new material at least Adrian is carrying on in the tradition. And again though not quite as polished as the rest of the set, I also enjoyed the song from "Op Zop Too Wah" and the KC song that I hadn't heard them perform before.
« Last Edit: 03/01/08, 12:55:41 AM by scorched earth » Logged
L.RayRojo
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 03/04/08, 02:29:27 PM »

I'm getting psyched up for ABPT show at Martyrs tomorrow night.
So, who's going?
I will probably just make it for the show as I have to work and then get the boyos settled in with the sitter before my wife and I can drive into town.  Hopefully, we'll still be able to make it up near the front as my wife and I are vertically challenged and Martyrs is a one level floor.

EYE   and  EAR and EGO
Michael
That Strange Free-Jazz Minimalism Guy
Planet Crimson Resident

La Monte Young's Well Tuned Piano

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/04/08, 03:35:14 PM »

I'm getting psyched up for ABPT show at Martyrs tomorrow night.
So, who's going?
I will probably just make it for the show as I have to work and then get the boyos settled in with the sitter before my wife and I can drive into town.  Hopefully, we'll still be able to make it up near the front as my wife and I are vertically challenged and Martyrs is a one level floor.

I'll be there, and I'm pretty sure Sarah will as well.  Look for us--maybe you + Mrs. Rojo will have time for a drink before you leave?

"The first piece of music I ever performed publicly was a La Monte [Young] piece. That was in 1967 or '68. It was a repetitive piece, and it remains in my mind as one of my great musical experiences. It really is a cornerstone of everything I've done since."   Brian Eno, 1981
http://home.cogeco.ca/~lamonteyoung/lamonteyoung.htm
L.RayRojo
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 03/04/08, 04:30:36 PM »

I'll be there, and I'm pretty sure Sarah will as well.  Look for us--maybe you + Mrs. Rojo will have time for a drink before you leave?

I'll keep an eye out for you two.

EYE   and  EAR and EGO
Michael
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/06/08, 06:58:36 AM »

You know how in the summer of '06 those of us in Chicago went on and on about how great the Trio is?

Tonight they were better.   Seriously better.  Last time the Slicks impressed with their ability to play like Tony + Bill.  Tonight I found they had moved into their own style, able to improvise with Ade at every turn, sometimes even leading him.  They're all over those intruments.  And of course, Adrian was Adrian ....

Oh, by the way, they did "Neorotica".  It killed.

(Sarah: we missed you!  L.Ray: Always great to spend time with you, and I was delighted to meet Mrs. R.  See you next time!  Smiley)

"The first piece of music I ever performed publicly was a La Monte [Young] piece. That was in 1967 or '68. It was a repetitive piece, and it remains in my mind as one of my great musical experiences. It really is a cornerstone of everything I've done since."   Brian Eno, 1981
L.RayRojo
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 03/06/08, 01:31:34 PM »

You know how in the summer of '06 those of us in Chicago went on and on about how great the Trio is?

Tonight they were better.   Seriously better.  Last time the Slicks impressed with their ability to play like Tony + Bill.  Tonight I found they had moved into their own style, able to improvise with Ade at every turn, sometimes even leading him.  They're all over those intruments.  And of course, Adrian was Adrian ....

Oh, by the way, they did "Neorotica".  It killed.

(Sarah: we missed you!  L.Ray: Always great to spend time with you, and I was delighted to meet Mrs. R.  See you next time!  Smiley)

Yes!  What Michael said.  I'll have to write more when I get a pot of coffee into me.  Good to see you too Michael and thanks for the Guinness!

EYE   and  EAR and EGO
Michael
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03/06/08, 04:24:48 PM »

Some thoughts on listening to parts of Side 4 with morning espresso:

I have two problems with this disc:  One is that Julie is too low in the mix.  This made me want a good audience tape.

The other is that they are not only much better than they were in '06, but also last February.  Having thrown out the script, tracks like "Matchless Man" have gone far beyond what is documented here.

The problem is, as there are only 3 new songs in the current set, a new live album is beyond unlikely. 

Speaking of the set list, basically Side 4 with "Neurotica", a new instrumental (at least for now), which I loved, I think he said it's called "Eddy",  and a song from one his albums that I don't have (R will tell what it is).  Basically, Neurotica" has replaced ET, but been placed in the main set.

Robinslick
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 03/06/08, 05:09:20 PM »

Hey hey:

Well, they need to do stuff from Side Four Live to promote the new CD, and with Julie in college full-time, it was very difficult for her to go to Nashville and rehearse, let alone work on new material. But now she has graduated and has nothing but time.  So for future tours, such as this summer (June and July I believe) and overseas in the fall (crazy locations!  Lucky b**stards)  look for a new set, a new studio CD, and also, John Sinks has been recording all of the shows on this tour and it's my understanding that they will be available for sale at shows in the near future - all of the trio, including spouses and parents (ha),  agree that as good as they were last year, this year brought them to a new level live.

"E" is a new composition of Adrian's, and I think the other instrumental is tentatively called "E Plus"...the other "new song" added to the set is an oldie -  Modern Man Blues from Op etc. and they were also supposed to do Dig Me - whether they pulled it off or not, I don't know BECAUSE I HAVE NOT SEEN THEM YET SOB SOB.  Also, some nights they still do play Elephant Talk and I Remember How to Forget...I believe it all depends on the curfew at the club and how long they rock out on the instrumentals, because from what I hear, they have really become quite the jam band.
Michael
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03/06/08, 05:52:33 PM »

I believe it all depends on the curfew at the club and how long they rock out on the instrumentals, because from what I hear, they have really become quite the jam band.

Robin, I hope it didn't sound like I was complaining about the set list.  My only point was that because it was similar we might not get a new live album, and I'm delighted to hear I was wrong.  I hope we can get them online, too.

As for your last comment: yeah, they have, and I'm more than happy to lose a few songs for the opportunity to hear them rock out longer.  That's when the sparks REALLY start to fly.   

Robinslick
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 03/06/08, 06:09:56 PM »

Oh no, Michael, I did not take it that way at all, but the mother in me had to come in and explain about the Julie situation because when the tour first started 2 weeks ago, I'd read somewhere on a blog that a fan took offense when Ade said on the first night of the tour that "we didn't even have time to rehearse" and said blogger's response was "Thanks for making  me spend $30.00 for that."

He then went on to rave about the show, so I didn't have to go to Seattle, hunt him down, and kill him (ha), but I realized the guy had no idea that Julie was a full time college student and has been since Adrian hired her back in 2006, and somehow she managed to graduate with a 3.8 average this month. (Drexel U works on a 3 semester schedule)....not to mention the fact that even with no rehearsals, they managed to blow the roof off the first night from everything I've read and right now, after playing together almost every night since February 19 and getting in plenty of rehearsal time on their days off and at sound check, they are at the top of their game right now.

So Adrian was actually bragging that this band is so good they can hop on stage and put on an awesome show without the benefit of a rehearsal (though in truth, J&E were down in Nashville for a week in November working non-stop for this tour...Julie took a week off from school).

I also snickered at said blogger's complaints at $30.00 being a lot of money.  Adrian is a legend.  Eric Clapton/Stevie Winwood tickets just went for anywhere from $250.00 to $2500.00 at freaking Madison Square Garden, and that was without the benefit of Ginger Baker on drums (ha again).  $30.00 to see the Adrian Belew Power trio is  the best $30.00 you'll ever spend for a concert and an incredible bargain.

But of course I am a bit prejudiced.

xo
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: