Planet Crimson, the OTHER red planet
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03/26/17, 10:59:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Ohhhhh-Kay, all you spammers from China, go practice platform diving or something. I'm getting tired of deleting you.
52875 Posts in 2245 Topics by 83 Members
Latest Member: Bretto29
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Planet Crimson, the OTHER red planet
|-+  King Crimson
| |-+  Crim Reviews
| | |-+  Adrian Belew Power Trio: 18 April 2009, Schaumburg, Illinois
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adrian Belew Power Trio: 18 April 2009, Schaumburg, Illinois  (Read 4743 times)
Michael
That Strange Free-Jazz Minimalism Guy
Planet Crimson Resident

La Monte Young's Well Tuned Piano

View Profile
« on: 04/19/09, 03:59:23 PM »

This is the third time I've seen the Trio in what, 4 years?  They are still as fun and energetic as ever, and musically they just continue to grow.  Adrian commented on it being unusual for them not to be playing for drunks in a bar, and this was indeed a very different experience.  While the second time I saw them it was obvious that they had improved and the show was simply better than the first, in this case the show was neither better nor worse in that it was so different.

Of course, the main difference was "E", of which they played 3 of the 5 parts, taking up, I would guess, a good quarter of the show.  They opened with the 4th public playing of "A" and "B", and closed the set with "E".  In between they focused primarily on Adrian's output from recent years (although they did throw in some some old favorites like a smoking "Big Electric Cat"), and, significantly I think, within that recent output focused heavily on the instrumentals. This music lets them all stretch out a bit: Julie in particular seemed really free to explore her bass. I didn't keep track of any time or numbers, but it's very safe to say that Adrian sang much less less last night, and that the music was primarily instrumental.  This included an impromptu drum solo Eric performed while we waited for guitar-tech Andre to repair a broken guitar string.  (The expression on Eric's face when Adrian suddenly threw it over to him was priceless.)

Oh, one other thing: no King Crimson in the main set.  For the lone encore they did play 3oaPP.

One thing that's clear is that with "E", which will be released in June, Adrian is moving into a new phase.  How long this will last and where it will lead I suspect even he doesn't know, but it is music that works better in a theatre than a club.  (It was kind of strange sitting in a theatre chair during those moments when they rocked out a bit.)

I also have to wonder if some recent events led to the withdrawal of a lot of Crimson material.  This wasn't Adrian Belew of King Crimson's solo gig, this was The Adrian Belew Power Trio, his main band. 

That's fine with me.  I didn't miss Dinosaur, Frame, Elephant,  etc. one bit.
« Last Edit: 04/20/09, 01:32:19 PM by Michael » Logged

"The first piece of music I ever performed publicly was a La Monte [Young] piece. That was in 1967 or '68. It was a repetitive piece, and it remains in my mind as one of my great musical experiences. It really is a cornerstone of everything I've done since."   Brian Eno, 1981
http://home.cogeco.ca/~lamonteyoung/lamonteyoung.htm
scorched earth
Administrator
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04/20/09, 10:37:11 AM »

Thanks for the review.

Nice to see the set is changing since I suppose my main criticism after seeing Adrian on three recent tours was that the set was pretty much the same throughout those tours. I think it's natural as you suggest for the band to drop some of the KC songs; though it was impressive to see how well they did those, it's on Adrian's stuff that they really shine. So I'd say "recent events" per se had nothing to do with it, it's just that the Adrian non-KC stuff  best complements the new material being introduced now. Anyway from everything he's said publicly, he's eager to do KC again should Robert ever decide to.
« Last Edit: 04/20/09, 12:00:27 PM by scorched earth » Logged
Michael
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/20/09, 01:31:43 PM »

I should clarify: the "recent events" meant more generally all of the events that have shown that crimson is unlikely to work on steady record/tour/record/tour basis than any of the unpleasantness from the tour misunderstanding.

"The first piece of music I ever performed publicly was a La Monte [Young] piece. That was in 1967 or '68. It was a repetitive piece, and it remains in my mind as one of my great musical experiences. It really is a cornerstone of everything I've done since."   Brian Eno, 1981
Gambit
« Reply #3 on: 04/20/09, 01:52:22 PM »

The evolution continues. I consider that a good thing, whatever the reasons.

significantly I think, within that recent output focused heavily on the instrumentals. This music lets them all stretch out a bit

I noticed that also as far back as last March. Dare I say, it reminds me of the Larks' group more than anything else - not necessarily sounding any similar, but in terms of sheer outrageous adventurousness.

Was there any word on future touring? I can usually rest assured there'll be a Philly stop sometime, but that doesn't make me any less impatient for definite news.
Michael
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/20/09, 02:35:09 PM »

Was there any word on future touring?

Nope.  The only "news" was the June release date for "E".

owen
Traitor
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 04/27/09, 07:05:54 AM »

This wasn't Adrian Belew of King Crimson's solo gig, this was The Adrian Belew Power Trio, his main band. 

I have to say that was the impression I had late last year too.

With the Slicks it doesn't feel anything like a solo act. It's a band in its own right, and the complete package too.

Roll on e.

Onward!
highlythrakked
Crimson Wookiee
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/27/09, 03:43:30 PM »

Beth and I went to St. Louis to see ABPT there at The Duck Room.
While they also played Thela Hun Ginjeet as an encore there, I agree with
Michael that the Crimson tunes weren't really missed.
I think the Power Trio should be Adrian's main band, they have an incredible energy and
are reaching deeply into the realms of musical telepathy.
And they are a lot of fun to boot!
Really looking forward to the new disc.
Michael
Planet Crimson Resident

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06/07/09, 03:23:38 PM »

Adrian will be in Chicago again on Wednesday, 22 July--third show here in just over 3 months.  Tickets are now on sale.

Unless there's some sort of huge PC presence, I'm probably going to let this one pass.  I think once a year is really enough for me (particularly financially--I'm trying to watch it a bit).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: